03 May 2010

EDITORIAL - 7 Movie Questions Meme

(Side note: I've been meaning to post more, but my school schedule hasn't really allowed that. We're entering Finals week, and I need basically every second I can grab to 'study' this junk and possibly pass with a well-earned C - if I fall under the lucky category. Anyhow, by mid next week, I should be posting regularly. I got some TV reviews, a book review, and plenty of notes on recent releases - well, plus some old ones, like the uber-cool WaterWorld. Thanks for reading, folks!)

The super awesome Rachel tagged me in this new meme making the rounds, and since I'm too busy with school work to do much of anything else, here's my bloody fantastic results:

1. What was your first movie going experience?
As the popular answer seems to be, my first theatrical experience was Disney's Aladdin. I still don't own the DVD (although I think it's OOP), but if I ever find it for cheap I just might pick it up someday.

2. How many DVDs do you own?
I have 500 something, including box sets (not counting the individual discs inside the box sets). It's a compulsion, I can't seem to stop. And now with my local movie store's closing down and selling their discs for super discounted prices, I don't see my collection dwindling down in numbers. In fact, just picked up two new DVDs during the weekend. Granted, I haven't watched every single DVD in my collection. It's kinda like how I take out nearly 20 DVDs at the library - I have no expectation nor intention on actually watching all of 'em, it's just that I could...


3. What’s your guilty pleasure movie?
Guilty pleasure...hmmm...Good Burger, with Kenan and Kel. As a wee little lad, I truly thought that was the epitome of a perfect comedy. These days, I love the generally-hated Pink Panther/Steve Martin flick from '06 - I think it's brilliant.

4. You’ve compiled a list of your top 100 movies. Which movies didn’t make the cut?
This is just one of those near impossible questions that I can't give a adequate answer to unless I prance over to my DVD/VHS collection, make hard yes/no decisions, and finally but painstakingly make a conclusion. I can say that nearly nothing Oscar nominated, with the possible exception of Juno (even so, that would probably list near the 80's or 90's). Surprisingly - considering I think about the Neo vs. Agent Smith fight a lot - I probably wouldn't have The Matrix Revolutions on it, either.

5. Which movie(s) do you compulsively watch over and over again?
Hot Fuzz, Batman Begins, and American Wedding are probably at the highest top of the re-watch chart. Whenever I'm down, Fuzz and Wedding always makes me happy and never fails to entertain, and Batman Begins just continues to awe me every time I watch it. The writing, the performances, the gorgeous cinematography, and the brisk, amazing editing - yeah, I dig that flick a lot.

6. What are some classics you’re embarrassed to admit you haven’t seen?
I wouldn't necessarily put this under the embarrassing category, but I haven't seen Casablanca, and considering all the film clips and quotes used since it came out and played over and over again, I don't reckon I need to see it. I'm slightly embarrassed not to have watched Apocalypse Now, but I can't honestly picture myself remotely enjoying that movie after all the spoofs I've seen done on it.

7. What movie posters do you have hanging on your wall?
My room and hallway is nearly drowning in posters. I'm a huge Godzilla fan, so 60% of my movie posters pertain to the giant Japanese behemoth. I've got mostly all American produced posters of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth (International title), The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and the Classic Media poster for their 2005 DVD release of Gojira/Godzilla. I have theatrical, double-sided posters for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II - Revenge of the Sith, King Kong (2005), and The Dark Knight (the clown "Why So Serious?" one). Wal-Mart $7.99 posters I've got hanging up include The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, The Boondock Saints, Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi, and Serenity. But my crown jewel is Silk Specter from Watchmen in her little get-up I have posted on my bedroom door.

No comments: