06 July 2010

MMAM - Vol. 1

It's time for Much Music Awesomeness Mondays, a new weekly feature that I plan on not forgetting about. The title itself is not set in stone, so if you can think of something way more hipper or cooler, with some pizazz, throw it my way.

In this feature I'll post a particular track from a movie or TV series that I am currently in love with. More often than not, Michael Giacchino, James Newton Howard, Murray Gold, and Bear McCreary will be used in this feature, but I promise I'll try to expand my horizons and include other works.

For my first installment of this new feature, I have selected a track from James Newton Howard's THE LAST AIRBENDER original soundtrack. The biggest reason for doing so is the simple fact I can't get it out of my head since seeing the movie, and now owning the soundtrack - well, suffice it to say, I've been listening to it quite a lot. Borderline need help a lot. So I figured I'd share it with you.

The actual movie may not be fantastic (review here), but Howard's score is extraordinary. Epic and flabbergastingly beautiful, this may just be my favorite score of the year, only posed to be beaten by Zimmer's INCEPTION soundtrack in a week.

(Note: Dunno how long the actual YouTube video will be up, as Lakeshore Records seems prime to delete as many 'violators' as possible. But I implore you to give it a listen any which way you can. Also, keep in mind, the below video is nothing more than samples of the track, not the finished product. Call it a tease, I guess.)

No comments: