25 September 2011

Geek Newsroom: Transformers, Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises

Hello all! Welcome to a new feature. It's a work in progress, just experimenting to see how well this turns out. Tentatively titled 'Geek Newsroom' - and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a way cooler name (which isn't difficult to achieve) - this (hopefully) weekly Sunday feature will give a preview of the upcoming releases of the week as well as a short rundown of notable movie news the previous week.


News Feed
  • Anne Hathaway in full Catwoman outfit on the set of The Dark Knight Rises (CBM.com)
  • Kiefer Sutherland and Tim Kring team up at FOX with Touch (TVLine.com)
  • Could this Fringe Observer be the next Lex Luthor? (CBM.com)
  • So that Lone Ranger movie might not be so dead after all (Deadline.com)
  • Get ready for some universe hoppin' in Thor 2 (CBM.com)
  • Kai's Top 5 Great Villains from Bad Movies (ManILoveFilms.com)
  • Premiers of Fringe & Supernatural weren't spectacular, but not bad, either (TVLine.com)
  • Easy A director Will Gluck sold comedy about exiled Angel (Deadline.com)
  • Watch these Sci-Fi Shows before Netflix Collapses (GiantFreakinRobot)
  • Those Star Wars Blu-Ray sets are doing okay... (Variety.com)
  • Super awesome sci-fi/fantasy mash-ups (blastr)
  • Community's brilliant homage to Doctor Who: Inspector Spacetime! (YouTube.com)
  • AM lists the Top 10 John Williams Scores (Anomalous Material)


DVD/Blu-Ray Releases
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Hitting DVD/Blu-Ray on Friday, it's worth mentioning for any interested buyers that Paramount's releasing this bare bones, AVATAR-style, with a bonus feature heavy release scheduled for November. So if you want the movie and just the movie, go right ahead and pick up this baby, but if you're like me and love the bonus content, unfortunately you'll have to wait. [Review]




Ben Hur - 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray Special Edition
Had the pleasure of seeing Ben-Hur for the first time a few months ago, and frankly, I loved it. One of the few classics that truly do hold up years and years later. And now it's hitting Blu-Ray in a special edition Gift Set. The reviews have been stellar. Consider this bought - although I would prefer not having the Gift Set.



Notable Comics

Batman: The Widening Gyre
Don't like Kevin Smith movies? Fine. Check out Kevin Smith comics. He's written for The Green Hornet, the upcoming Bionic Man comic (based off his old script), Daredevil, and a successful run on Batman. The Widening Gyre is his latest work with the Caped Crusader, and it's all kinds of awesome. If you have an inkling of interest, do it. You will not be disappointed.


Superman #1
Yes, I'm picking and choosing what comics to include, but c'mon, it's a friggin' huge list. As part of DC's New 52 initiative, Superman's getting an makeover (although I'm still fuzzy if this is a re-imagining or a continuation of the line with a sort of blank slate), and I wager this premiere issue will tackle the Sup's status around Metropolis and more romantic angst between him and Lois Lane.


Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #2
A lot's happened to the Ultimate Spider-Man line since 2001, and now Peter Parker, the original Spider-Man, is dead, and young Miles Morales picks up the pieces. Truthfully I haven't had a chance yet to check out the new series, but I'm curious to see where Brian Michael Bendis (Powers) takes the line.






New Releases

50/50
Been eagerly looking forward to this film for awhile, so the chance of me seeing it this weekend is pretty high. I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I can mostly tolerate Seth Rogen, the script seems funny and dramatic, and there's very little about this flick that doesn't look appealing.






Dream House
...Whereas this, I really couldn't care less about. Now I dig Daniel Craig, and have always fancied Rachel Weisz since The Mummy in '99, but this just doesn't look remotely appealing. If I do see this, it will most likely be via Redbox rental or through some other estranged means.





What's Your Number?
Maybe there's a part of me that doesn't mind painfully bad movies (e.g., I made the choice to watch Something Borrowed last weekend), but this looks weirdly appealing. As in, there's a good chance I'll see it in theaters. I'm not expecting much at all, honest to blog (shameless Juno-isms, blame classes), but Anna Farris is mostly funny, I gots me a man crush on Chris Evans, and it looks like it might not be all bad.



Margaret
Apparently Margaret has been in post-production Hell for years, and the company is just now throwing it out on the release schedule. Not my cup of tea, but I can't say seeing Anna Paquin's name attached to the flick didn't peak my interest.





Courageous
Made a quick look at the Wiki page, and in the Plot category there's a Bible quote in lieu of an actual, decent plot summary. Yeah, I'm skipping entirely with a wide smile. Maybe I'll throw on Justified instead.

No comments: