04 January 2011

Tuesday Cap - Vol. 14



Title: The Chronicles of Riddick

Notes: I love, love, love, love, LOVE this movie, and am quite eagerly anticipating the third whenever that finally picks itself off development Hell. I understand the lack of love from many circles, but there's not one fiber of this flick that doesn't overwhelm me with joy. Beautifully shot, nicely scripted, and boasting the awesomeness of Vin Diesel nicely balanced by the awfulness of Thadine Netwon, CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK will always find itself on my top 10 list of favorite movies ever made. What exactly is so appealing? First and foremost, Vin Diesel as Riddick. By now, he completely owns this role, and makes him one of the most thrilling and by golly interesting anti-heroes to ever grace the screen. David Twohy's direction and script is equally just as awesome, no matter the unoriginality of names (Elementals, Furyans, Necromungers, etc.) or the much disliked new 'origin' for Riddick. I dug it, I loved it, I want more. It's science fiction, it's action, and it's epic. I remember sitting in the theater back in '04 watching the final minutes of the film unfold, and when the final credits rolled, I was floored. One hell of a ending, and I am as giddy as a schoolboy seeing Scarlett Johansson on the streets for seeing how it all turns out. Unfortunately, early rumblings about the sequel are less than heartwarming...

Discuss: General thoughts on THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. Plus, any thoughts on a sequel? Indifferent? Totally against? And exactly how lame is that proposed title, 'Dead Man Stalking'? Any aspect of RIDDICK you enjoyed? Does the DVD Director's Cut do much for you, opinion-wise?

No comments: