11 January 2011

Tuesday Cap - Vol. 15



Title: Spider-Man

Notes: With the new SPIDER-MAN film currently shooting with Andrew Garfield (THE SOCIAL NETWORK) and my future wife Emma Stone (EASY A) scheduled for release next year, and what with me having superheroes on my brain lately, I figured it would be worth including the original Sam Raimi-directed SPIDER-MAN here for the fifteenth Tuesday Cap installment. Personally, to this day I still don't really know what to make of the film. There are multiple elements that work, and are actually pretty cool (cool specifically meaning the awesome last 20 minutes), but there are also parts (not to mention the general tonality) that I disagree with (the casting of Willem Dafoe, for example). And also, kudos to Raimi for casting good actors, but similar to the badness of a 40-looking man acting as a teenager in I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst just seem waaaayy to old for their roles (Garfield may suffer this, as well). I like the flick, and I don't like the flick; it's a conundrum. I'll simply sy this: it's the least watched of the Raimi trilogy.

Discuss: Were your hopes and dreams of seeing SPIDER-MAN on the big screen fully realized? General feelings on the casting and tone? Thoughts on the Spider-Man costume, and the Green Goblin redesign.

No comments: