03 December 2010

Simply Script: No. 1

New sporadic feature here at Ramblings of a Minnesota Geek. Truth be told, this concept was inspired from the moment this exchange transpired in David Fincher's THE SOCIAL NETWORK back on 1 October 2010. Great, great writing by Aaron Sorkin (STUDIO 60). I recognize plenty of other blogs do it, but plenty of other blogs do reviews, too, so I wager it all works out in the end. Enjoy! And I promise after the next obligatory V FOR VENDETTA installment I'll try to come up with something a bit more original for this feature. Until then, SOCIAL NETWORK should be hitting second-run screens relatively quickish, so I implore the three of you who haven't seen it yet to do so.


THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin



GAGE
Do you think I deserve your full attention?

MARK
I had to swear a oath before we began the deposition phase and I don’t want to get arrested for perjury so I have a legal obligation to say no.

GAGE
OK. “No” you don’t think I deserve your attention.

MARK
I think if your clients want to stand on my shoulders and call themselves tall they have a right to give it a try. But there’s no requirement that I enjoy being here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention – the minimum amount needed.

The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook where my employees and I are doing things that nobody in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creativity capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

1 comment:

jeremythecritic said...

Probably my favorite exchange in the entire film, which is really saying something. Sorkin has the Oscar locked up.