24 June 2010

TV Meme: Day 24 - Best Quote

Talk about mucho complicated. How can one possibly suss out their favorite quote amongst the pantheon of TV shows they love? Especially when you have Joss Whedon programs to consider, which is possibly one of the most difficult things to think over in the world because each and every one of his episodes have at least two highly quotable lines of dialogue. I was thinking about choosing a Scrubs quote, but I don't know those episodes nearly good enough to be like, "Hey! THAT quote is a goldmine!" Heck, I even thought about some Jack Bauer quotes, which he definitely has in-between beating up bad guys. I also contemplated a Doctor Who quote, particularly from this Series, because the Eleventh Doctor has had plenty of great lines this year.

So in the end I did choose a Joss Whedon show. Not out of service to the man, not because I feel obligated to 'cuz I love his shows, but because this one particular quote has resonated with me since I first heard it. I'm going to say right here, right now that this quote isn't the BEST quote of all time, a quote that all others must be measured by. Well, I guess in one regard it does. Before I explain further, here's the quote from Angel, Season 4, "Deep Down":

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh, and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions. It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."

I can't think of a better definition of what a 'hero' should be. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, even the majority of the Watchmen folks fit into this category. A selfless individual fighting the fight to show the people of the world what life can be, what it should be, and a way to get there. When I sit down to write a paper, or a story, or read a book about a superhero, the bolded quote isn't too far from my mind. It's a beautiful monologue that Angel gives [to Connor, his son], and it also is a beautiful summation of the entire show from "City Of" to "Not Fade Away".

No comments: