07 June 2010

TV Meme: Day 7

It's Day 7 of the TV meme, and the topic of the day is least favorite episode of your favorite series. Basically, what episode do I watch the least?

Doctor Who hasn't made a BAD episode (2004-present series counted), a episode that is so horrendous I just have to turn it off and rewatch its more masterful creations. However, that said, there are some episodes I just don't care for. Series 2 was rather uneven - either the episodes were utterly BRILLIANT, or they were just so-so. "The Idiot's Lantern", episode 7 of the series, wasn't all that thrilling or cleverly written.

Honest to God, I've probably watched the episode twice, so the details aren't that detaily. It's a period piece involving television signals being corrupted by aliens, and The Doctor (the 10th David Tennant incarnation) and Rose (looking as dashing as ever; look at the pic!) are hot on the trail to end...something.

Written by Mark Gatiss, "The Idiot's Lantern" just felt like a filler episode. I understand that we can't have big, epic, season finale-ish storylines every week, but "Idiot's Lantern" was just so underwhelming, and the threat entirely non-threaty. Gatiss would go on to write "The Lazarus Experiment" in series 4, which was much, much better, and "Victory of the Daleks" in series 5, which was a vast improvement over his previous efforts.

But thanks to writing about this episode, I just might go back and rewatch just to make sure. There were a few others I wasn't a fan of, such as "Fear Her" (which I forgive purely for the final minutes taking place at the 2012 Olympics in London) and "Love & Monsters", which I just couldn't get into. But again, Doctor Who - very strong series. Perhaps I shoulda just done a Angel episode instead...

No comments: