02 September 2010

31 Movie Days: Day 02

Day 02 - Movie More Folks Should See

Well, just this nano second I would suggest getting out of your seat in front of the computer, and literally running to your local theater for the next screening of SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD. To say that this movie is the best film of 2010 is a understatement. Every person and their grandparents need to see SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD, and enjoy its epicness of epic epicness. It's the biggest blast of fun you'll have all year, guaranteed. Forget this AVATAR junk from James Cameron, forget the levels of the subconscious in INCEPTION, director Edgar Wright's film is the real damn deal.

Now that I got the SCOTT PILGRIM love fest out of the way, here's my real choice, and I base this simply off the fact that I need to enlighten customers constantly about this production, and they've never even heard of it. I am speaking of James McTeigue film V FOR VENDETTA, miraculously enough. And great part - the film was originally scheduled for a 2005 release date, making that year possibly one of the best we've had in awhile. Would-be V FOR VENDETTA, George Lucas' STAR WARS EPISODE III, and Christopher Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS. Great, great year. Now why do folks need to see V FOR VENDETTA, and why is it so highly regarded by me?


You'd be hard-pressed to find a greater movie about the government. Screw the fact that our protagonist is a crispy man in a Guy Fawkes mask and that his true goal is to blow up a major infrastructure, V FOR VENDETTA accomplishes something 80% of all dramatic political flicks fail to do: make me give a bloody damn. I recognize that may seem - well, sorta bad, but guns, explosions, and blades aside, V has a message and damn if it isn't some of the most engaging and intelligent products of cinema I have ever seen.

There's a lot more to be said about V FOR VENDETTA, and it probably should be said, but whatever I write wouldn't do the movie real justice. It's a action movie, yes. But it's also a commentary on our world, our government, ourselves. It begs questions and contemplation out of the viewer, not just content with showing us a building get gorgeously demolished in a blaze of explosions. No, V is much, much, much more than that, and it needs to be more widely seen and understood deeper than just, 'Woah, man, Natalie Portman's hot. Wanna watch it?' A comment that I sadly confess I've heard when walking through the DVD aisle at TARGET. At the very least, the screenplay by the Wachowski Brothers amuse and intrigues.

No comments: