29 September 2010

The Virginity Hit


The Virginity Hit

Cast: Matt Bennett, Zack Pearlman, Jacob Davich, Justin Kline, Nicole Weaver Writer: Andrew Gurland, Huck Botko Director: Andrew Gurland, Huck Botko Release: 24 September 2010 Gary Sanchez Productions, 86 mins., Rated R

Plot: Of all his friends, Matt's the last virgin standing, and his camera-obsessed brother is there to film the whole damn adventure.

Judging from all the extremely positive reviews of VIRGINITY HIT that's hit online [hehe, hit online], I can safely say that nearly everyone everywhere hated it, walked out, and some even demanded their money back. Perhaps I'm still a tad too immature for my ancient age of 20, but beyond all reason, I can't say I didn't like the movie. It had its bad parts, for sure, but the overall product was a enjoyable experience, and I did in fact laugh at multiple occasions, something that has been quite difficult to accomplish with summer 'comedies' that aren't called SCOTT PILGRIM. Since I'm quite sure the lot of you who have actual interest in the movie will see it, and those who wish the filmmakers to suffer in eternal Dante-like damnation will have already chosen to not see it, I'll make this review short and simple.

The best thing VIRGINITY HIT has going for it is a charismatic cast that never once gave off the impression that we were watching a performance. For all intents and purposes, I felt as if I really was being granted a peak into these teenagers' lives, and living the ridiculously outlandish tale of Matt losing his virginity [well, if it wasn't outlandish, there really wouldn't be a reason for the movie to exist, anyway...]. The reality of the flick was fantastic - if I didn't know better, I would most definitely have sworn this was home video footage that was too outrageous to not be shown unto the world. The entire cast work off each other brilliantly, never feeling forced or gimmicky; real friendships and romances were thrown onscreen, dudes and lady dudes. Yes, I know it was all fake, but this has most definitely been one of the best examples of actors living the part. The cut-together segments also add to the already funny sequences, the one-liners are actually pretty humorous, and for the first time in a long, long, long while, I actually giggled at a poop and fart joke. I guess if they craft it right, it works. So in summation: the cast is wonderful, the jokes are there and are genuinely funny, and in a way, I didn't want the movie to reach its conclusion.

Now, the negative parts: the resolution of Matt and Nicole's relationship was simply a cop-out, and if I was Nicole, that was not the way I'd have it go down. Even as a non-girl, I felt pissed for her in a situation that she seemed relatively fine with. Another aspect I automatically dislike no matter how good the movie is: frakkin' rich kids. These teens have a giant pool, a bazillion rooms, a van, and complete disregard for rules and authority. Why couldn't they just be random everyday Joe's who just happen to have a video camera filming stuff? And my final dislike: there are some jokes that just didn't work, and I actually bowed my head in shame.

So what can I take away from this? I don't regret paying for THE VIRGINITY HIT. In fact, I'd still recommend it as pretty decent entertainment. I understand it won't appeal to a large majority of folks, and will probably receive a larger audience in the DVD market. Like all movies, low-budget and major releases, it has its faults, and it also has its strengths. The comedy is no AMERICAN PIE [which is pretty much my favorite teen-oriented franchise of all time], but it's a entertaining fluff piece with some genuine 'moments', pretty cool and realistic characters, and a good amount of fun thrown into the mix.

No comments: