03 September 2010

31 Movie Days: 03

Day 03 - Favorite Recent Oscar-Nominated Flick

Well, dictating if it means Best Picture only, or general Oscar-nominatedness. Here's my choice for Favorite Recent Best Picture Oscar-Nominated Flick:


BASTERDS was a surprise for me. I don't normally enjoy war movies, and I guess I just wasn't expecting to like this movie at bit. Oh, and I really didn't expect, when I was going into the theater back in August '09, that Tarantino had written a script that rewrote history and was a friggin' screenwriting masterpiece. By that, I mean his script is 100% beautifully solid. The only thing I would probably change is all the movie talk, because it occasionally feels like Tarantino's educating us instead of delivering a movie, but at the end of the day, it's sorta of integral to the films climax. And I didn't expect that the titular characters were actually secondary to the actions of Hans Landa and Shosanna, but yet it was, and it was equally as electrifying.

And here's my choice for Favorite Recent Oscar-Nominated Flick (in general):


J.J. Abrams' 2009 masterpiece STAR TREK was nominated for Best Visual Effects, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing [anyone else notice a extreme lack of Giacchino TREK score nomination?]. Well, I like to think of it as the best motion picture of 2009. It's two hours of pure, pure entertainment, with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto kicking major amounts of ass as James T. Kirk and Spock, respectively. Here's the rundown - beautiful, serene visual effects; majestic score by Michael Giacchino; cleverly written; also cleverly written as to appease old TREK fans and introduce newbies to the TREK world; super fun; super pretty; super fast editing; utterly gripping; and...COOL! For a more thorough and less truncated review, I recommend you here.

No comments: