15 September 2010

31 Movie Days: 15

Day 15 - Favorite Musical

I'm not particularly a fan of musicals in general, and therefore I haven't exactly taken the opportunity to watch many. I'm pretty sure I've exposed myself to perhaps five - tops. And I don't include the reluctant endurance of GREASE for a few scenes, and then once allowed to go to my room to watch something way in the galaxy better, I ran for it. However, in that small little bin of musical flicks I've seen, I really dug Tim Burton's SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STRET.

Do be mi
ndful, I'm not saying that TODD is remotely near the realm of a 'perfect' movie, much less a musical. I simply quite enjoy any revenge-driven narrative, and the gratuitous blood, mixed with Johnny Depp's remorseless, soulless penetrating eyes as the titular character - there's plenty to enjoy in the feature. Granted, I don't like in this dimension or any other Burton's wife Helena, with the sole exception of her Bellatrix Lestrange portrayal in the POTTER franchise, but I strangely found her sufferable. I appreciate the tragic ending for Mr. Todd, and I do appreciate Alan Rickman's excellent but thankless role as the Judge. I also appreciate Mr. Burton for putting BUFFY alumni Anthony Stewart Head into the picture, even if it was for the briefest of moments. SWEENEY TOOD is a enjoyable musical, if altogether unspectacular one. Nonetheless, it's my favorite.

Side-note: if I thought it constituted a "movie", I would most definitely have chosen Joss Whedon's DR. HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG. But I sorta don't think it qualifies.

No comments: