08 September 2010

31 Movie Days: 08

Day 08 - Movie That Should Be Required High School Viewing

Quite honestly, there's a good bazillion of titles that could fit this market. The highly intense BANG BANG, YOU'RE DEAD as Nick suggested, or the Tina Fey/Lindsay Lohan comedy of awesomeness MEAN GIRLS as Rachel picked. Now, honestly, the Ben Foster-driven BANG BANG is absolutely a required high school viewing. It speaks to basically every single kid who ever went to school [which is, hopefully, the majority of the population]. Everyone has been bullied, and there's the occasional bloke who would love nothing more than to lash out against his oppressors. BANG BANG recognizes those students, but simultaneously says to use your brain and don't allow yourself to go over the edge. It's a really, really powerful movie that speaks to all students, and I 100% agree with Nick's choice.


However, considering that he took it [you bastard! - kidding], I'm making a rather strange choice. The Anton Yelchin-vehicle CHARLIE BARTLETT. It's a bloody fantastically well made comedy, with a script that doesn't feel like it was written with someone behind the computer thinking, 'This sounds like how a teen would talk! Muhahaha!' It doesn't sound contrived, and the characters, storyline, and overall dynamic of the film is a marvelous beauty. The film is very real, very down to earth. Plus there's the funny aspect, which is always, always a plus. BARTLETT is all about the messed up life of a teenager, and standing up for oneself, yada, yada, yada - you know the thing. Just what makes BARTLETT a improvement over all the rest is that it has spirit, smartness, rewatch value, and a kickass cast.

2 comments:

David Bishop said...

Charlie Bartlett reminded me a lot of Ferris Beuller, but I'm more fond of Ferris. I didn't dislike Charlie Bartlett, but I didn't love it either.

Andrew Simon said...

I really need to rewatch FERRIS BEULLER. In my 20 years of existence, all I've ever seen are 5-9 min. segments on TV whenever it aired. I think I got the gist of it, but I still haven't seen the whole bloody story.

I didn't like BARTLETT as much with my initial screening - it was more or less a Kat Dennings love fest - but with repeated viewings, it quite begins to kick ass.